Tuesday 22 March 2011

I don't like Mondays...

Yesterday was kick arse day. I knew it was coming so made sure I had a book down the seat of my pants.

Did i go off message in going down the photoshop rendering route? Yeah probably, some of my fellow students thought so... and were quite vocal on the subject! Thanks Amelie, Susan, and Aiya.

The thing is,
(cue dreamy music... mist and rose-coloured spectacles....)

that I know what my drawing style is... although it was 12 years ago I was drawing for a living. We were called 'Visualisers' then back in the day and without the aid of photoshop, sketch-up, CAD etc - I would sit down at a drawing board and produce measured perspectives in pen and ink and colour them in.  At college we were taught to use water colours - we had a 'Shelley' tutor who came and gave us weekly lessons in how to render in watercolour. In our last year we had a hip young tutor who introduced us to marker pens, this was considered cutting edge - but it's what our future employers demanded, so we ditched the paint!


So why did I burn up precious hours on photoshop last week, for little to show? Because I want to move forward and apply the new skills I've learnt - at least give it a go. I don't want to be a dinosaur -  I love what the computer can do - I love Photoshop and sketch-up (jury's still out on CAD, but that's only because I also like technical drawing by hand).

So this week I must step off the photoshop and get back on the drawing board - finish my drawings and - oh and the lesson today is ........ANNOTATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. good for you for trying new tecniques, i must be old fashioned much as i love photoshop for some things i just love the look of hand rendered work it has a different quality and you are good at it.

    ReplyDelete